In the early 1980s, IH developed a series of reliable large-displacement V8 diesel engines that were sold as an option for heavy-duty Ford 3/4-ton and 1-ton pickup trucks.
Navistar still uses the "International" brand in its diesel engine and truck product lines, and the brand name continues on in product lines of Navistar International's International Truck and Engine Corporation subsidiary.
Some of the sales of profitable business endeavors were executed to raise cash for short-term survival, while other divisions were sold due to lack of immediate profitability.
These involved out-of-period adjustments, which were corrections of prior period errors relating to product warranties.
The company also provides financing for its customers and distributors principally through its wholly owned subsidiary, Navistar Financial Corporation.
The merger of Mc Cormick Harvesting Machine Company and the Deering Harvester Company in 1902 resulted in the formation of the International Harvester Company (IH) of Chicago, Illinois, which over the next three-quarters of a century evolved to become a diversified manufacturer of farming equipment, construction equipment, gas turbines, trucks, buses, and related components.
After nearly a century of business in Chicago, Navistar announced its plans on 30 September 2000 to leave the city and relocate its corporate offices to west suburban Warrenville, Illinois.
In 2004, Navistar re-entered the retail vehicle market for the first time since 1980.